Thursday, September 16, 2010

Remembering the Works of God, Part 1


A year: three hundred sixty-five risings of the sun; fifty-two meetings of precious fellowship with the Body of Christ; the round of holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries… What great things can be accomplished in a year!

But of all things I could have resolved to accomplish this year, I chose to read the Psalms every day. You’d think a book read daily would get old by September, but can I tell you I find more delight than ever in drinking from them each day! They are inexhaustibly refreshing! I want to know them, I want to memorize them, I want them to be in my heart and on my tongue. Such a shame that they are no longer included in our public worship, as they were exclusively centuries ago.

Today I read Psalm 105:
“Remember His marvelous works that He hath done; His wonders, and the judgments of His mouth… He hath remembered His covenant forever, the word which He commanded to a thousand generations” (Psalm 105:5, 8).
Wow! This was an astonishing revelation: We expect God to remember and fulfill to us the promises He made 2,000 years ago, but we do not remember the works He did for us last week!

What importance this attaches to documenting the God’s works throughout the course of our lives. Today I examined both Psalm 78 and 105 with new eyes, asking, “If God wrote a tale of His works in my life, of my unbelief, lust, and pride, and of the grace and mercy with which He worked all things for my good, what would it say?” Someday I'd love to take the time to look back and consider the turning points of my life, the circumstances surrounding them, my heart and my attitude, and tie all together for God’s glory, writing it out in the style of these two Psalms.

As the first anniversary of that precious day (Psalm 116:15) my father ended his pilgrim journey draws nigh, I find myself reflecting on this past year, my first year without Daddy. To think I may live forty or fifty years more without him… that’s a hard thought. That’s why it’s so important for me to remember. I was just thinking tonight on the way home from church, of how I thank God for the long ride because of the unforgettable conversations I had with Daddy every time we rode together.


I love to go back and read the truths God was revealing to me in the weeks that followed us facing the death of husband, father, protector, provider, and head of the home. In such times, priorities are much clearer to us than during the daily grind of life. God can teach to me more in a day through hurt and tears than I can learn alone through years of studying. I will soon be sharing here* on my blog some of the things I wrote during that time.

*To read, click these links: Oct. 14, Oct. 23, Nov. 4, Nov. 9, Nov. 29, and Dec. 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails